×

Warning: Illegal string offset 'url' in /home/customer/www/oldhams.au/public_html/wp-content/themes/bluelily/single-project.php on line 7

St Mary Of The Angels

Project Summary

Client: St Mary Of The Angels Trust

Project Type: Catholic Church

Project Timeframe: 2015-2017

Architects: Bulleyment Fortune

Awards: Gold Medal And Winner, Heritage And Restoration Category, NZ Master Builders Commercial Projects Awards 2018. Winner, Heritage Category, NZIA Wellington Architecture Awards 2019

Project Description

The re-opening of St Mary of the Angels after three years’ re-strengthening featured on national television in April 2017. The church looks magnificent with no indication of the massive structural works behind the new paint and plaster that have brought it up to nearly 100% of the building code.

Designed in 1918 by Frederick Jersey de Clere, St Mary’s is believed to be the first reinforced gothic church in the world. It was closed after earthquakes in 2013.

The $9.5 million re-strengthening was funded out of grants and donations so tight budgets led to a number of innovations. One was an internal rolling gantry, similar to a huge waterfront crane, that supported the roof and walls while each of the church’s 10 massive portals was worked on.

Back to top